There are thousands of supply teachers working in schools so NQTs need to work hard to ensure they stand out from the crowd. A large amount of this will be down to your own actions once you secure an assignement. Newly qualified teachers need to put themselves into a situation where the schools ask for them by name, this will maximise their chances of getting work.
The following ideas will newly qualified teachers to get the most out of their assignments:
1. Most schools will need to see identification such as your dirivng licence and CRB on your first day at school.
2. Under no circumstances should you use a mobile phone in a lesson, it must be turned off.
3. Make sure you dress as smartly as possible, first impressions are so important, not just with staff but pupils.
4. Make sure you arrive within good time to park and find reception. Lateness is not tolerated in schools and can cause a lot of problems for the cover coordinator
6. Take the morning and afternoon register
7. Follow the lesson plan and make sure all work is completed
8. If there is no work set you must send for the cover co-ordinator and in the mean time give the pupils something constructive so you are not wasting time.
9. Make the lesson your own and actually teach them…a bored pupil is a naughty pupil!
10. Complete marking for the class (this mainly applies for Primary Schools)
11. Leave a hand over sheet detailling the behaviour of the pupils and work completed after every lesson
12. Leave the classroom tidy
13. Familiarise yourself with school policies
14. If covering for a form tutor, take the morning register
15. Provide support for break and lunch time
16. At the end of the day make sure the pupils have left safely
17. If there is something you think the schools should know, speak to someone about it.
18. Allow time to say goodbye to the head or another member of staff
19. Socialise in the staff room, you may just meet the head of department and get offered something long term!
20. If you have a free period perhaps ask if you can help out with another class or do some admin work
21. Thank the cover co-ordinator for your day and let them know you would love to come back!
Do as much as you can to stand out from the crowd and offer value to the school. This will ensure that you get offered opportunities that are avilable within theschool and get requested back time and time again.